Friday

Learning to cope Part 2: Meal planning

Feeding my family was one of the 1st things on my mind. How would I do this when I wasn't allowed out of bed for more then 10 minutes at a time? Its easier then you think. It just requires a bit of creative thinking, using tons of shortcuts and planning ahead. For me it meant going grocery shopping once a week, with a small list, using one of the electric carts. I stuck to my list, did not stop to look at other products and only went while most people would be at work. I also requested assistance getting the bags to my car and with heavy items.

To make things easy I stuck to one store, looked at their weekly flyer and formed my meals around sale items. Most of my meals were crock pot meals or microwavable meals. I used shortcuts like steamable bagged veggies, pre-made salads, the store's rotisserie chicken, and cuts of meat easy to crock pot.

After I was admitted to the hospital I had to pass my grocery shopping onto my husband. My best advice for sending husbands who don't normal do the shopping is to make them a list and keep it simple. If you want a certain brand and size right it down but don't expect that to be what you get.

For me planning my families meals and creating the grocery list kept me occupied. Continuing to make meals for our family made me feel useful when my husband seemed to be carrying out the brunt of the chores in our house on top of going to work full-time. 

I kept a stash of snacks for myself and my husband. I had a place by the bed for mine so I didn't have to get up and I didn't need to rely on anyone to bring them to me. There are lots of prepackaged snacks out there. I kept them in reach and kept a variety on hand. I also froze bottles of water and juice. In the mornings I brought some back in a small cooler (to catch condensation and keep them cold) so I'd have something cold to drink throughout the day. Sometimes I'd stash some of my cold snacks with them in the morning to enjoy later too.

No comments:

Post a Comment